Pages

October 2, 2009

Flashback Friday--Adoration



Oh, back before this little girlie was a twinkle, Jodie and her husband Dave brought 24-hour Adoration to Hawaii.  In fact, at that point my big boy Charles was still an enormous bump in my belly, but shortly after he arrived, I took the 4 o'clock hour all for my own....well, mine and 4 kids.  When we had it in the big chapel, I would drag along a pack 'n' play and after I plopped the baby in, the other little kids pranced up the center aisle, knelt in front of the Montrance and would say, "Hi, Jesus!"  In the small chapel , a baby gate contained everyone, and after their "Hi, Jesus!" they would play tag under the altar while I prayed.   Around that time, our priest shared a quote with me about the Holy Innocents playing with their crowns around the throne of God, all unaware of His glory.  It was a great consolation to me, and those blessed hours changed my faith.

Today, due to a perfect storm of scheduling, I had to take the seven dwarfs with me to my Adoration hour.  Jodie and Dave started Adoration here too, years ago, and I am so grateful.  It made me some kind of homesick to watch Joseph trying to crawl under the altar and the other kids lining up to say, "Hi, Jesus!" before they knelt to pray.  And then it got rowdy in there, too many people crammed into a tiny room and everyone talking or telling Him something or .... I don't even know, but He and I just watched and laughed. 

On the way home, I commented about how much livlier Adoration was this week than it has been the last few weeks when I've gone alone, and one of the kids said, "Yeah!  We were rocking with Jesus!"

2 comments:

Maryan said...

LOL! Oh Rachel great inspiration. I need to do that. I'm sheepish because at Holy Trinity there are always other people since they have at least two different families sign up for holy hours. But very good points -- I need to get over that and do that all together. And for accountability on my part, I'll report back on how we survive.

Michelle said...

Eight of you in that small closet, huh? Did you bring in a supply of oxygen?

But - good for you!

The HS group here just started adoration on First Fridays - little ones highly encouraged. I led the 4th Joyful Mystery with the 4yo corraled on my lap, the 6yo lying on the pew bench and loudly tapping the seat with her shoes, the 2yo wanting to kick the 4yo off my lap, and the 9yo complaining about the 6yo.

Fortunately, I was near the back so the only one who noticed this was the nun kneeling right behind me.

Excelsior! (no where to go but up, I think)