Pages

February 10, 2009

Substandard is Still Standard

For the first several years of homeschooling, this was my time of year to have a complete crisis of confidence. I was sure I was doing everything wrong, and school came to a screeching halt for about a month. Then I would pick myself up and keep on doing what I had been doing because I didn't know any other way to do it. In the end, I think I was just tired and there was nothing wrong with my curriculum.

Now that I've learned to pace myself better, I spend a little thoughtful time in February to evaluate what my lesson for the year is. I always think there is one important lesson for me to learn, but I have stop long enough to see what it is. School continues to click along as this train of thought chugs in the background.


I've decided that this year my lesson is about quality and how to really achieve it. Not a new thought, but one that needed to be revisited.


Bill and I have always made our expectations clear whether for behavior, chores, or schoolwork. I've made written reminders for the kids for how to do their chores and lesson plans for their schoolwork. Expectations for manners or behavior we discuss over the dinner table so everyone is present and we can answer questions. The systems have helped a lot, especially since something or someone else is there to help me remember what the standard is.

But I'm seeing that I have slipped in the "walk behind" whether it is personally checking how well chores were done or grading papers at a set time each day or even getting up and disciplining the 2 year old. I won't bore you with the details of how the "walk behind" happens each day, but I have made some recent improvements. However, the one I will share is the one I consider the biggest improvement. Bill and I have decided to enroll our family in the Mother of Divine Grace School, and I found out today (thank you, John) that we were accepted.

For those who don't know, MODG provides teacher support for those who enroll in their school, and they take new families on a space available basis. We have to use their curriculum, and they will allow us to make approved changes if we want. We enroll as a family each year, and they provide consultations and transcripts among other things.

There are so many reasons why MODG is good for our family and our homeschool, but for now I'm only addressing how it should increase the quality of our school. As background, we have been following the MODG curriculum for the most part since we started the boys in Kindergarten so there should be no major change in how we do business. I expect the school will add two things to improve quality: insight based on experience and impartial accountability.

One thing I have struggled with at times is how to make the kids' education richer. For example, Thomas and Anthony could read all of their history text and readers for the year in a few months, but does that mean I should move them forward faster or provide a wider range of books at this level? Which books? When I've exhausted my trusted lists, I have at times wondered where to turn especially since my pre-reading time is limited as is the budget and shelf space for new books. (Side note: I've very picky about who I let advise me about actual curriculum choices.) Having a consultant will give me a trusted source to turn to with these questions.

This year I have also struggled with how assess how well the kids are doing in some subjects. Now I can ask my friends, and loving souls that they are, I'm sure they would tell me that the kids are all brilliant! But...I need someone impartial to look over the kids' work with me. I need them to tell me whether my instruction is poor or the work is poor. I need them to tell me if I am slacking off in the wrong places or working the kids too hard in others. And I need to know if I am expecting too much of myself when things are tough or too little when things are going smoothly. I see that as the sort of advice only a paid consultant will willingly give.

Bill loves to joke that "substandard is still standard" which is something he heard at work, and I am always equally amused and infuriated by it. I think of it as both a smart joke and a sad commentary of how people set their expectations. But, like any parent, I don't want substandard education to limit my kids. And a quality homeschool education can only be achieved by my action. I have to get off the couch, I have to walk behind the chores, I have to let someone else guide our school. Because I have high standards. :)

3 comments:

Maryan said...

YAY for acceptance to MODG! We are slowly getting back into our groove. Slowly. February is just an awful month. Actually let's lump January into it too. I love schooling in the spring: lessons, play outside, lessons, play outside, lessons, play outside...

Rachel May said...

That was our whole today... that and James' face looking like it was melting because of his cold....

Anonymous said...

I think it is great you're using MODG! My mom used that for a few years and way preferred it to Seton :) I know homeschooling is still a couple years away, but I enjoy hearing, or reading ;), what other moms are doing so I can better plan when my time comes :) I love all your structure and determination to keep that structure...and family time at dinner! We treasure our family time at dinner on the nights Lowell isn't working, and make another time for that on the nights he IS working. You're an inspiration to me with your planning and follow up with school, chores, etc. Thank you!