which is wonderful...but highly trafficked by other family members.
I need a space where I can have my own desk--not one with a tempting time-suck computer--but instead a place to keep my grading, calendar, sewing machine and whatever else I deem office-worthy. Also, I need to let Bill have his own desk which he can organize in his own way without the rest of us cluttering it up. In this house we have the perfect spaces for both of us. Bill's desk is in a room with the piano and some books. Right now there is no overhead light and nowhere to read, so it isn't a temptation for us to mess around in there. Our first order of business is to get him a good light so he can see what he's doing as he designs his personal space. Next will be a real desk.
My office full of sunlight, it's central to everything else but still separate; there is room to organize!
| My office is really the breakfast nook |
| Bill gave up his old desk (the old dining room table) so I could have one :) |
I'm going to make a sewing machine cover so it can sit on my desk without being ugly. I'm also having fun trying to imagine what piece of art to put on the wall. If we're still here in 5 years, maybe I'll put something up. In the meantime, a blank wall is very restful.
![]() |
| More sunshine on my back while I work |
I recognize that sometimes I will have to share my desk. In fact, part of the design is that the two smaller knuckleheads will sit there to do their written work so the bigger kids can have some quiet at the other table. But yesterday I realized that I will also need to be fiercely protective of my space. A certain artsy-craftsy child chose my desk as the prefect location to work on a puppet, and then at grading time I had open glue, snippets of paper, and markers in my work space. Grrrr!
And it is in this office that I plan to do some of the most important work of all--give birth to our new baby. (See how much space there is for a birthing tub?) I know that that project will involve mess and sharing, but I'm looking forward to it.

6 comments:
I love it!!!! I propose you put a beautiful crucifix on your bare wall in your office and birth room :) I look forward to being home owners some day; until then, I may have to enjoy it via your blog posts!
I'm going to suggest better window covers for your birthing room. Just a thought.
I guess I should describe what is outside the windows. :)
First, they are on the back of the house. They look across the narrowest part of our back yard, and between us and the fence are some dogwoods and pine trees. Immediately on the other side of the fence are some hideous cypresses which in 20 years will block the light into my house. Right now, they act as a privacy screen. If I stand at the fence, I can look onto the neighbor's farm. Across a field is a tennis court, beyond that in the distance is the horse stable, and past that even further is their house.
So I don't feel like anyone will be looking in, but if the birth is during the day, I will want something to cut the light some. Maybe some sheers? RIght now the light is very filtered, but it isn't summer yet.
Joanna, I had a similar thought, but then thought maybe a beautiful Madonna and Child. I can't decide. There is a hook on the wall waiting for me though!
I have been so inspired about filling in your space! I want to put a large, hand crafted crucifix or a picture of Our Lady Queen of The Angels there. With all those angels to represent your children and she is holding Baby Jesus too. (That is my favorite image and title of the Blessed Mother). I am excited to see what you finally decide to put on that beckoning hook :)
Would you believe that for now I think Van Gogh's Irises is going to end up there? What I would like (it's been a half thought in my head, but I didn't know what it was called until I googled it) is a della Robbia Madonna and Child round relief, but I have a memory of seeing one beautifully done in color--maybe one my Nana bought in Italy? Those I've found online are either all white (which would be fine) or less well done in very bright colors. No matter what, though, they run into the hundreds of dollars so there will be a wait for that.
I have 2 other Mary images for my desk...hmm, I just realized I also have a Fra Angelico I could hang...either it or the Irises would match the colors of the room....my only hesitation about a crucifix is that I find it distracting while I'm in labor. I rub it, but don't care to look at it. Divine Mercy was my focal point for the last labor. Maybe a wall rosary? It is such fun to think about. In the last house we had a similar unused wall and all it had was a crucifix. I loved it because then we had something to kneel in front of when we said the rosary. :)
Have you seen these calendars from Family Centered Press? I love mine and one year I had the one with OLQoA on the front.http://family-centered.com/shop/imag-gallery/
I think a collage of Norman Rockwell's would be hilarious, but Van Gogh's irises would be more inspiring. ;) LOVE that you have an office.
Post a Comment