Last fall, inspired by Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, I fell in love with the idea of having a school vegetable garden. I have slowly been collecting resources and supplies and ideas. I've recruited Bill to build the gardens during maternity leave and my mom to help keep them running when she comes to visit. The kids were each allowed to choose what they wanted to grow--tomatoes, corn, carrots, strawberries, sunflowers, and bell peppers. We are going to start all but the strawberries from seed, and since we have about a month until the final frost for our area, we can start the seeds soon.
This morning as we were leaving for a homeschool conference meeting, my friend called to say that she couldn't do it today after all. Not one to waste 6 kids washed, dressed, shod, coated, and done with school by 9:30 am, I packed them into the van anyway, and we went to the craft store. There we bought little wood pots, paint, and birdfeeders (for the Virginia Bluebirds we've seen in our front yard). A quick trip to Borders added the newest version of Square Foot Gardening to our home library before we had an artsy afternoon painting the pots.
No comments:
Post a Comment