Pages

September 6, 2010

Labor Day Letterboxing

Today we took a trip down memory lane. We threw the kids and lunch in the car and drove up to Duke in search of some letterboxes and just to see how things have changed in the last 15 years. In the Duke gardens we had no luck finding the box, but we did have a picnic and some fun feeding the fish and ducks and....



West campus hasn't changed much, but we did enjoy these big swings that they have added outside the Bryan Center.



Don't you want one of those for your backyard? We all do too!

To our delight, James found the Happy Hippo Hitchhiker's Hostel box, his first. He stamped our book, and once again we remembered that we need our own stamp to leave our mark. Any suggestions?

And I promise, I am sending the still camera to get fixed this week.

5 comments:

Jennifer Gregory Miller said...

Memories! Everyone is growing up so much!

Maryan said...

Where did my comment go? Did blogger eat it? I'm trying again: I want to know who almost took out onlooking Duke student walking up the hill! They get my vote for a ten. Love the swing!! And off to click to see what on earth letterboxing is...

Maryan said...

So letterboxing is a big adventure quest? And random other letterboxers hide boxes in certain places? I'm so brain impaired -- I'm not sure if I got it. But it sounds super fun! I love searching for things. And a stamp for you guys? A symbol of one of the poetry muses? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muse Or... Legos in a closet? Was trying to think of some saint symbol that would imbody the May's but the muse didn't visit me.

Rachel said...

I think that was James. My favorite was watching Thomas steamroll Maria and then they roll over and over each other.

Letterboxing is exactly that, a quest. Someone hides a box with a stamp and some paper inside and then leaves clues to help you find it. When you find the box, you can leave your stamp on the paper inside with a note. We also have a book and bring along a stamp pad so we can put the letterbox stamp in our book. We also mark where and when and with whom we found it.

Mmmm, like the stamp ideas. Some people carve their own, but we so are not going there. Bill says after we find 25 letterboxes, we can plant our own. :)

Leah of RamFam said...

Glad you enjoyed your Labor Day!