This is a project in progress. I couldn't find any images of what I was trying to achieve, so I gleaned some ideas and came up with this system. For the past 11 years/7 houses we have had the clothes stored in bins separated by size and gender. At a certain point, it became too difficult to put things away or climb through the attic to access the tubs. We knew we needed a new, faster and easier-to-keep-organized model.
When we decided that our master bedroom and bathroom and closet were ridiculously large for 2 people, we put 4 kids in the bedroom, divided the bathroom into a dressing room and a full bath, and turned the walk-in closet into a clothes and shoe store.
The clothes are divided based on how I shop:
 |
Tape labels on the hangers seem like the best method for making it easy to read and knowing where to put things away. I am thinking about a way to label all the clothes this way. I tried dividers but don't like them as well. This is to the right of the door as you enter. All the boys' clothes fit on this long wall. The girls' play clothes will all fit on the top rack on the shorter side with church dresses on the back wall. |
BOYS
Church shirts
Church pants
Shirts
Pants and shorts
PJs
Scout uniforms and Swim
GIRLS
Church dresses
Tops
Bottoms
PJs
 |
This is the back wall as you turn left. There are more shelves back there too. Everyone's coats that aren't in use are stored in the back of the closet. I arranged them all by size since 6 months of storage and growth means that by the time we pull them out again, they may fit the next child down the line. Dress blues, my funeral dress, tablecloths are in the very back. |
Interestingly, I have always found having our church clothes arranged in separate bins by type (pant, shirts, girl stuff) to be the method that have saved the day most often. When you almost out of time to pull together a nice outfit, I guess you just can't pretend that sloppy street clothes are play clothes. I mean, maybe *you* think you can, but I assure you, you are not fooling anyone. ;)
We don't save many shoes and I want to put the baby (up to 1 year) and maternity clothes in bins since we have shelves, but I have to climb through the attic to get them. I'm about 1/2 done with organizing and labeling by size.
1 comment:
I would leave the baby and maternity clothes out where you can get them easily if I were you. ;)
Post a Comment